While doing research for my new novel; Ghost Hunter: Saving the Ghost Children, I needed to learn the difference between a ghost and a demon. A couple of things surprised me right off the bat, one is that there is almost no reference to ghosts in religion, whereas, demons are prevalent. My second biggest surprise was #2 on my list, many claim that the reason for this is jealousy.
I didn’t go to any one source for the list so this is a collaboration of the things I found.
1. Ghosts were people, demons were not. Ghosts are spirits of humans that have passed away and Demons are angels who fallen from the grace and have been cast out of heaven.
A Dr. Alberto states a difference as this: ghosts are souls who haven’t seen the light and are in need of guidance or they are attached to something material. Demons on the other hand, are low level entities, usually from lower-level worlds. People labeled them demons but they are no different from us, only thing is that they are all lower category of soul… where evil is more prominent.
Another investigator believes that most demons are fallen Angels, she also thinks demons can be former evil humans recruited by other demons in real life or upon death.
I just know if I had one in my house and it was angry I’d rather it be a ghost verses a demon, but that’s just me.
2. Not all ghosts hate the living, but all demons do. One paranormal investigator says the difference is like night and day. Ghosts are the energy of beings (people and even animals) that once lived and are often not dangerous. Demons are entities that never lived like us. They have one purpose and that is to make the living suffer. They don’t bargain, make deals or have any sense of mercy. Once one attaches itself to you it is difficult to get rid of and sometimes dangerous.
A ghost is usually looking for a resolution to their situation and wants to move on. The most evil of all ghosts known as poltergeists are often demonic in nature rather than more human-like.
3. A demon will impersonate a ghost, but a ghost will never impersonate a demon. I guess everyone draws the line somewhere, either that, or they’re afraid to?
4. A human possession is almost always caused by a demon.
5. A demon cannot be redeemed. Like a guy named Brian Speaks that threatened to beat me up my whole freshman year in high school, there’s just no turning this bad apple around.
6. Demons are more deceitful and dangerous. A demon will often disguise itself as a good spirit, to be allowed entry into a home or heart.
7. Ghosts have shorter lifespans. Ghosts and hauntings seem to stretch only three to five hundred years max, beyond that it seems they’ve lost any connection to today’s world. Now demons, these guys are kept alive through history and tradition, hundreds, even thousands of years old.
I did a lot of personal research on the difference between ghosts and demons because I feature one of each in my latest novel “Ghost Hunter: Saving the Ghost Children”. “Ghost Hunter” is getting great reviews and for limited time is featured for only 99¢.
Agree or disagree, I would like to hear from you in the comments below and possibly feature information from you in an upcoming paranormal article.
Join my newsletter and get free copies of my books usually before they are published, plus other free stuff too.
Get Ghost Hunter
Amazon Best-selling Author Alex Myers plunges readers into a world bubbling under the surface of our day-to-day.
It’s a snowy Christmas Eve and a couple of prostitutes deliver a baby. An hour later, the baby is found in a pool of blood and the mother has disappeared. The hookers raise the baby as their own and find the boy is a strange, wonderful, good-luck charm. As he gets older, they discover he’s been cursed with an astonishing gift.
21 Already An Old Soul
Cursed because the boy wants nothing more than to be normal. A gift because Danny Hunter can talk to ghosts and the ghosts can talk back.
Helping Them to Move On
Danny’s extremely adept at helping spirits cross over into the light—until he meets a powerful dark spirit that doesn’t want to go. A merciless demon that gets his strength from the souls of children and he’s out to gather more.
Danny’s Calling in Life?
Saving these kids and stopping this evil may also hold the answer to his mother’s disappearance. The world of the dead collides with the living and with the help of a defrocked, homeless Catholic priest, a 547 pound psychic to the stars, and the smartest, prettiest woman Danny has ever met, he decides to try.